School Crossing Guards
The position of School Crossing Guard has become one of the most dangerous occupations in local government. Forty years ago, half of our children walked to school. Today, only 15% walk. As a result, school zones are clogged with more traffic than they were designed to handle. This congestion is compounded by motorists who are often in a hurry when they drop off or pick up their children.
The videos, Street Smart is Safe and Crosswalk Hero are basic safety primers for crossing guards. The video, School Zone, Danger Zone is designed for use with school personnel and parents. Another video, Walk the Walk discusses how communities can create a comprehensive pedestrian safety program including walking routes to school.
- Establishing a Citizens Advisory Committee for Public Safety
- Conducting a Public Awareness Campaign
- Medical Examinations for Crossing Guards
- Community Safety Leadership Guide for Crossing Guards
- Crossing Guard Job Site Observation
- Crossing Guard Bulletins
- Annual Crossing Guard Training Plan
- Annual Crossing Guard Program Review
- Rutgers Crossing Guard Project